Social & Economic Development

Results of socio-economic development of the Saratov Region in 2016

Industrial production index in 2016 was 104.8%, including: 

  • mining operations – 109.4%;
  • manufacturing industries – 105.8%;
  • production and distribution of electricity, gas and water – 102.0%.
The shipped goods of own production, works and services performed in-house by full circle of organizations amounted to 454.97 billion rubles, or 103.6% by 2015 in current prices.

Production of agricultural products amounted to 163.5 billion rubles, it's above the level of 2015.

Totally, all-type regional farms have manufactured: 183.1 thousand tons of meat (97.9% by 2015), 707.6 thousand tons of milk (97.2%), 982.9 million of eggs (98.3%).

The amount of investments was estimated at 145.0 billion rubles.

20 big investment projects was completed in 2016 with a total investment of 9.5 billion rubles.

The amount of work carried out in the construction activity was 54.85 billion rubles, the index is 84.4% by 2015. 1294.1 thousand sq. meters have been introduced by all sources of funding or 113.5% by 2015.

The proportion of individual housing construction in total housing was 38.6% (499.2 thousand sq. metres). Saratov Region on 4th place in Volga Federal District on entering the total area of dwellings.

Retail turnover amounted to 312.9 billion rubles (94.4% by 2015).

Inflation of the consumer market amounted to 3.9%. The Saratov Region takes 3rd place among the regions of the Volga Federal District. The maximum growth of goods and services prices amounted to 5.5% (the Ulyanovsk Region), the minimum growth – 3.5% (the Orenburg Region).

Average personal income amounted to 19101.2 rubles, decreasing by 4.8% as compared to 2015. By estimation, the average monthly salary amounted to 23510 rubles (104.4% by 2015).

The number of officially registered unemployed persons in the regionwas 12.95 thousand. The unemployment rate of the economically active population is 1.03%.
In the first half of 2016, the sum of 50.02 billion rubles was invested to the fixed capital for economic and social development (105.8% by the first half of 2015).

Investment in fixed capital, billion dollars


The main funding source of fixed capital investment in the first semester of 2016 compiled from the organization's own funds – 51.6% of total investment volume, the remaining 48.4% of funds were attracted additionaly (including borrowing funds from other organizations, bank loans, budget funds, equity, etc.).

The growth of investment activity in the first half of 2016 was observed in economic activities such as mining (188.2%), wholesale and retail trade (170%), transport and communications (150.7%), agriculture, hunting and forestry (139,8%).

In the first half of 2016, substantial investment in fixed capital was concentrated in the industrial sector, relating to the implementation of major investment projects. Construction of two industrial plants – “Engels Locomotive Factory” and LLC “Euroradiators” – was complete in the Engels district. New manufacturing lines were opened at the enterprises of Saratov and Engels: JSC “EPK Saratov”, LLC “Saratovorgsintez”, LLC “Polyplastic”, LLC Research and Manufacturing plant “Relocatable concrete products factories”, LLC “Saratov rubber-recycling plant”.

Structure of fixed capital investments by types of economic activity at 1st half of 2016, %


The Saratov Region's foreign trade turnover in the first half of the 2016 amounted to 740.2 million dollars. Export amounted to 526.1 million dollars, and import – 214.1 million dollars.

Positive trade balance amounted to 312.0 million dollars. Export share within foreign turnover amounted to 71.1%, import share – 28.9%. CIS and Non-CIS countries export shares within foreign turnover amounted to 23.1% and 76.9%, accordingly.

Foreign trade turnover in 1 half of 2016, million dollars

Major trade partners of the first half of 2016:

  • export (66 countries): Brazil (17%), Germany (11.8%), United States (10.1%), Turkey (8.1%);
  • imports (81 countries): Germany (13.1%), Austria (12.5%), China (12.4%), Italy (9.8%), Indonesia (9.5%), Spain (3.8%), United States (3.4%), Ukraine (2.1%), Uzbekistan (1.1%).
The dominant products in commodity structure of export: chemical industry, rubber (53.0% of total export), foodstuffs and agricultural raw materials (22.3%) and engineering products (12.8%).
In the commodity structure of import dominated: engineering products (51.7% of total import), foodstuffs and raw materials (17.1%), products of the chemical industry, rubber (14.0%), metals (6.1%).